UAI Staff News
- Already Happened:
- Public Messages to Social Media and Families to Stand Against the Message of Hate
- Consequences administered to students fomenting hate speech
- Counselors, Deans, and Admin holding open door counseling for those in need
- Mobilization of UAI Youth Leadership Council to gather student perspectives and needs for next steps
- Currently Coordinating Support with UA and NYCDOE OSYD to bring in support for restorative justice circles and other actions to repair.
- What's Coming Soon
- Healing Harm and Educating Our Community
- Naming the Harms Done. First and foremost, we want to make sure that the steps we take are actually addressing the harm done. From meeting with the YLC last week, it is clear that we don't fully understand the full spectrum of that harm. To begin our work, we will be conducting staff circles to uncover and name the harm done so that we can move forward in addressing it. The YLC is working with students to collect student concerns, questions, and expressions of how they feel harm (or have seen harm done). We will also be holding a family Town hall to similarly collect input. If you see something missing, please lift it up and we'll include it in our gathering & understanding the harm step of our healing process.
Once we have a better understanding of what we need, we'll be working with UA and NYCDOE OSYD to leverage key restorative tools like circles to address the harms done.
- Educating our Community. We need to do much work to educate our community about antisemetism, and lean into our experiences of working to become an anti-racist school. This act flew in the face of our schools' values and the fact that it happened at all by any member of our community illustrates how much work we each have to do. I am tapping our Equity team and inviting anyone who would like to join into the work to develop a sequence of learning experiences (in conjunction with organizations like the NYPD Hate Crimes unit (they come into schools to offer workshops on Hate Speech), the Jewish Heritage Museum, and Facing History) to educate our staff and students.
- Student Response. Our student leaders have crafted their own response to the issues. We are working with them to figure out the best platform for their voices and supporting them in pursuing their own action plan for repair and growth.
- Town Hall. Our SLT met on Thursday night to discuss the issue, and we will be holding a Town Hall this week to update our families on our work and to invite them in to join our work and provide us with their invaluable perspectives on our next steps.
- What's In the Long Term
- As we move through our immediate and short term work, our long term goals will become more articulated. We know that there are long-term implications of this work. We will come together, as we have always done, to find out what needs to be changed and to make those changes to improve the quality and education of our entire school community.
Important Upcoming dates
- Monday, 30OCT23 - Staff Circles (see below)
- Tuesday, 31OCT23 - Halloween - Wear your best costume - themed outfits are the best!
- Wednesday, 01NOV23 - Monday, 06NOV23 - MP1 Benchmarks
- First Marking Period Benchmarks are coming the first week of NOVEMBER
- Wed, NOV 1st - ELA & Theater Benchmarks
- Thu, NOV 2nd - Science & Spanish Benchmarks
- Fri, NOV 3rd - Social Studies & Computer Science Benchmarks
- Mon, NOV 6th - Math & PE Benchmarks
Restorative Circles. As I mentioned above, we are launching a series of restorative circles to begin to repair the harm resulting from the antisemetic signs our students held during the student-led walkout last week. We are coordinating support with UA and OSYD, and this does take time to get folks out. here to plan and support us. However, we want to make sure we are doing things right, not just fast. To that end, here's what we going to be doing
- Staff Circles. These will be UAI staff run circles to help us identify the harms done from the perspectives of our staff. The goal is to be able to accurately name the harms so that we have a clear picture of the scope of work we need to tackle.
For this first circle, we will be in affinity groups with teams facilitated by our school leadership, deans and counselors. Staff will choose their circles for this round. Please complete THIS FORM
- Student Circles. With the support of UA and OSYD folks, we will be running restorative circles for students in advisory and/or learning labs. Because we are coordinating with UA and OSYD, please know this will take some time. As we get more information, I will share specifics. We're aiming to get these up and running no later than next week.
- Ongoing Circles. We will need follow up staff circles (supported by our friends at UA and OSYD) to repair the harm at the staff levels. We're hoping to schedule the first of those on Tuesday, during our Staff PD.
Equity Team Pivot. The Equity Team will be charged to focus their work on educating students and staff around multiple anti-racist/anti-biased issues including antisemetism. We are reopening the team to folks who may be interested.
- 30OCT23 - Restorative Circles
- 06NOV23 - Benchmark Grading
- 07NOV23 - Election Day PD (Circles, Benchmark Analysis, Progress Monitoring on Goals)
- Conferences with students
- Individual or small group feedback teachers give while circulating during work time
- Global Feedback to the class, based on information gathered while circulating.
Outreach Log. Please make sure you are inviting all students who have <75 in your class to attend your Monday Office Hours. Please document that you have informed families that the Office Hours are support for students and document that in the outreach log by midnight on Sunday nights.
NOTE: At the end of MP1, I will be checking that any student who received <75 in your class ALSO had record of successful outreach. If you are not able to successfully connect with families by the end of this week, you MUST reach out to Tracey to get help in connecting with families.
- Black Student Union - Joanna & Pauline (Rm 411) - Tuesdays & Thursdays 3-4:30
- Arts & Crafts Club - Tiffany & Jennifer (Rm 311) - Mon/Tue/Weds - 3-4:15PM
- Theater Production Club - Noelle (Rm 315) - Tues/Thurs/Fri - 3-5:30PM
- Student Government - Sue, Marsha, Phillan, and Girls' Inc's Kassi (Rm 309) - Tuesdays - 3-4PM
- Youth Leadership Council - Kelly (Rm 307) - Tuesdays 3-4PM
- Photo Club - Tom(Rm 205F) - Wednesdays 3-4:30
- Cheer - Mary & Lia - Various days depending on Game Days
- Anime & Art Club - Adelle & Francis (Rm 409) - Tuesdays & Thursdays 3-5PM
- Running Club with Camryn (starts after the marathon is over)
- Dance Club - Girls Inc - Room 503
- GSA Club
- Muslim Student Association
- Students Against Racism & Bias Club
Per Session Postings
For ALL per session activities, please complete Per Session Application Form"
- students remain safe and orderly during games
- only eligible students are admitted to games
- all students fully dismiss from the building at the conclusion of the games