UAI Staff News
Happy New Year. Welcome back everyone, and a very happy new year to all! I do hope this holiday break has been filled with fun, food, relaxation and connections with family and friends. Our jobs can be so draining, so these breaks are critical to our capacity to fill our own pots so that we have the resources to give & provide for our students and families!
To that end, as we walk back into school this week, we only have a few weeks left in the 2nd marking period. As an annualized school, our HS students don't receive their full course credits until June. However, as a reminder of UAI grading policy, students who are passing as of the end of the Fall term will have earned at least 1/2 of their full years' credits. So, now is the time to push and support our students to prepare for their course benchmarks and to catch up in work they may have missed.
As we near the end of this fall terms, we want our students to show us their best capacities! Kids and families need our strongest support and clearest communications to get there so outreach and extra help and targeted interventions are super important as we wrap up the fall.
Thank you to all who updated MP2 Interventions document! This will be extremely helpful moving forward to the end of the term. Students who are not yet meeting our schoolwide goal of getting >75 in your classes will need extra help and attention both in classes and after school. Calling home to update families will be critical in making sure that everyone is circling the wagons around our students who need the most so that they can find their own power to thrive!
Please remember - when students are not yet performing it is because they haven't figured out how YET. Our job is to give them the experiences and support they need in order to be able to achieve the goals they want - and to develop into the best versions of themselves!
We hold high standards (rigor) so they can achieve (power) to be able to effect positive change on the world (equity), all the while knowing we are there to support where needed and that they are loved (joy). This is what we do at UAI. This is who we are!
Important Upcoming dates
- Wednesday, 03JAN24 - Elevate Visits Learning Labs
- Thursday, 04JAN24 - Instructional Rounds Day for Group 3 (w/ Kelly & Phillan)
- Wednesday, 10JAN24 - Instructional Rounds Day for Group 4 (w/ Marsha)
- Monday, 15JAN24 - MLK Jr. Day - NO SCHOOL
- Tuesday, 16JAN24 - Benchmarks Begin (see below)
- Wednesday, 17JAN24 - Adams Street Campus Varsity Girls Basketball Home Game
- Friday, 19JAN24 - Adams Street Campus Varsity Girls Basketball Home Game
- Tuesday, 23JAN24 - Regents Week Begins
- January Benchmark Schedule
- For Grades 8-12: 2nd AND 3rd period Regents Mock
- Wed 17JAN23 ELA Regents
- Thu 18JAN23 USH or GLO Regents
- Fri 19JAN23 LIV or EARTH Regents
- Mon 22JAN23 ALG 1 Regent
- All other classes should give their end of MP2 benchmark at some point during the week of Tue 16JAN- Mon 22JAN - any period EXCEPT 2nd and 3rd.
- For Grades 6 & 7th graders:
- 2nd & 3rd will be benchmark periods - lunch will be moved to 4th
- Tuesday 23JAN will be the ELA benchmark
- Wednesday 24JAN will be the Math benchmark
- All staff will have grading time build into their Regents Week Schedules.
- Please Prepare your students for these benchmarks
- They should be seeing spiral review of MP1 and MP2 topics throughout all of MP2
- They should have practice with Benchmark questions for BOTH content and literacy
- You should schedule some type of practice benchmark prior to the actual benchmark so students have an idea of what to study. This could be in any form you choose - but you need to provide it for them. Please see your ILT lead or Kiri or Annie if you need more support on this
Preparing for the End of the Semester.
Benchmarks. As you prepare students for the final summative Benchmarks, you need to make sure you are giving them a chance to see how they would do on the big test PRIOR to the big test (a trial run). For example, students should do a practice test that they can then grade themselves (or exchange to grade) to see which topics for which they are ready to demonstrate competency and to understand which topics need more review, study and preparation prior to the benchmark. Please make sure you are backwards planning from the benchmark to provide students with this type of learning opportunity.
Intervention & support. Please continue to provide and monitor impact of your MP2 Interventions. By the EOD on Friday 12JAN24, please update the document with the current grade of your students. NOTE: Students who have grades <75 will be scheduled to come in to meet with you during regents week to get extra help and complete necessary work to develop their competencies in your course and merit a grade of >75. We all will be using the information in the MP2 Interventions to discuss regents week programming with students.
RPET Work. RPET will release our PD calendar for the year this week to review plans for teach ins and other activities and professional development. Stay tuned!
Regents Week Assignments. We are finishing Regents Week Programming this week. You can see which exams students are currently signed up for HERE. This is the list of only required tests. If students want to retake a test, have them email me and Liza to sign up for the exam. If a student is listed as taking an exam, they are requried to show up. It is not optional. If they have questions, please send them to me or Liza.
- Prep Time, Professional Periods, and Other Professional Work Time is time programmed into the work week for professional activities. This includes small group work (tutoring or intervention), grading and feedback, planning, lesson run-throughs, and lesson prep (copying, etc.).
- Family outreach during your prep or Advisory Prep time is part of your in-day schedule and not part of your 55 minute outreach time. The 55 minute family outreach time should occur after the school day ends.
- None this week.
Per Session Postings
For ALL per session activities, please complete Per Session Application Form"
Please continue to help promote your after school clubs. Please make sure you are getting a reliable group of at least 10 students. Help our after school classes get off the ground! - I will be collecting final rosters on 30NOV - you have additional time to recruit!!
- Black Student Union - Joanna & Pauline (Rm 411) - Tuesdays & Thursdays 3-4:30
- Arts & Crafts Club - Tiffany & Jennifer (Rm 311) - Mon/Tue/Weds - 3-4:15PM
- Theater Production Club - Noelle (Rm 315) - Tues/Thurs/Fri - 3-5:30PM
- Student Government - Sue, Marsha, Phillan, and Girls' Inc's Kassi (Rm 309) - Tuesdays - 3-4PM
- Youth Leadership Council - Kelly (Rm 307) - Tuesdays 3-4PM
- Photo Club - Tom(Rm 205F) - Wednesdays 3-4:30
- Cheer - Mary & Lia - Various days depending on Game Days
- Anime & Art Club - Adelle & Francis (Rm 409) - Tuesdays & Thursdays 3-5PM
- Running Club with Camryn (starts after the marathon is over)
- Dance Club - Girls Inc - Room 503
- Students Against Racism & Bias Club - Jelissa (Rm 305) Tuesdays & Thursday 3-4PM
- Muslim Student Association - Laura (Rm 404) TBD
- GSA Club - Amanda - Rm 407
- students remain safe and orderly during games
- only eligible students are admitted to games
- all students fully dismiss from the building at the conclusion of the games