Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Classroom Environment

Benchmarking and Goal Setting

Last week and this week, you guys have been working hard to analyze initial assessment data to help students set goals in each of your classes.  This week, I'll be doing the same in your classrooms with your classroom environment.  I'll be using a hybrid rubric from the LC Classroom Environment and Independent Work Time rubrics to get this snapshot.  Originally, I was going to come in on Friday, but given the rhythm of my days this week, I'm afraid that I won't get to everyone on Friday.  So, I'm going to split you guys over two days (Thursday & Friday).

Remember - this is a benchmarking visit! It's ok if you don't feel proficient at all of the areas.  That's totally normal!!  I've given you all of the expectations so that you can know where you need to go (kinda like when you guys give access to the state standards to the girls).  These visits will be followed by my conference schedule for the marking period.  So, we will definitely get a chance to talk about your strengths, needs, and goals!

There are 5 main areas that I'm going to look at.  For specifics, be sure to click that link above.  I am expecting you to have a working knowledge of this rubric, so please shoot me questions or concerns that you have.

  • Teacher - How are you promoting independence and engagement?
  • Student - How are students establishing their goals and accessing resources to achieve those goals?
  • Physical Environment -  How well and freely are students using the physical space and classroom resources to set and achieve independent work time goals?  
  • Materials and Records -  Have you organized (and are you using) binders to keep track of at minimum the conference records (and Unison Reading records for LC classes)?
A Word on Social Norms - This is definitely an area in development.  To give you an idea of where we're going - Here's what I'm looking at in my visits:
    • To what extent do all members of the learning community (teachers, students, admin) have input into the rules and expectations of the classroom?  To what extent do the members of the classroom community correct and redirect behaviors that are outside of the agreed upon norms?  (Right now, I expect to see a lot of teacher redirection, but ultimately, students should also feel the responsibility of holding the community responsible to the norms)

No comments:

Post a Comment