UAI Staff News
- Flex Time On Mondays & Tuesdays
- From the start of the year, you've had outreach time built into your professional periods and Monday extended time has been given back to you for planning and prep.
- First Monday of Month - ENL/SPED PD Workshop Series
- First Tuesday of Month - Grade Team Meetings & Attendance Review
- Twice Monthly (dates TBD) - Staff Circles - These were added, but circles are our primary tool to develop community and provide support for one another. This, I know, feels like the opposite of making time, but Circles are a valuable investment of time for our community and collective mental health and well-being. We'll start twice monthly for the fall to strengthen our foundation and move to monthly in the spring.
- Planning Teams Share the Load
- ICT and ENL Co-teachers were limited (as much as possible) to the number of Gen-Ed Partners they had this year. The goal of that was to be able to effectively share the planning and grading load equitably among co-planning team members. In addition, some courses have multiple planning teams working on them. Share the load - work collaboratively to divvy up lesson, activity, &/or assessment planning. Work with one another to establish common expectations of what you want to share, who is doing what, and when it will be do. If we learned anything during Online School - it was that many hands make lighter work. Share the load to create more time for everyone!
- Less IS More
- As we journey towards Mastery-Based Grading, you should be reallocating your work & time away from the trap of endless homework and endless grading and towards more effective planning for in-class verbal feedback, as well as time for high-quality written feedback. This means fewer assignments with more feedback, and fewer major assessments - to allow students time to earn from your feedback.
- Learning Lab Adjustment & Flexibility with Small Groups
- Starting this week, Teachers can flexibly use assigned small group time for work directly with students or extra planning time. (See "Learning Lab Update" below for details)
I know that the structure of schools make it seem like there is no choice over ones own time and space, and most times that is true (for me too!). However, in the places where there is agency, take stock and use it effectively, efficiently to create the greatest impact for yourself and your students.
As many of you know, I left UAI this summer to be the assistant principal at UA Gateway. Being a new AP in a new school was a journey in my career I was ready to take on. While I fell in love with the community, I realized it wasn’t the best fit for me. Ultimately, I resigned as AP last week. What this means is, I automatically revert back to [a teacher line]. That being said, I am returning to UAI starting Monday October 25. This transition felt like a major step back for me at first. But I truly believe everything happens for a reason. I can’t wait to see my UAI family again!
To DoUAI teachers choice due Nov 1. All staff have $250 to spend for UAI classroom/office supplies. Staff will be reimbursed up to $250 (tax is not reimbursable, so please get the tax exempt paperwork from Del - or be prepared to pay tax yourself). All receipts are due on next Monday at 3PM. To submit receipts
- Tape All Receipts to a 8.5x11 piece(s) of paper. Try to get as many on one page as possible to be visible, but definitely use as many pieces as necessary. Write your name, the date, and "UAI Teacher's Choice" at the top of each page (and include page number and total pages at the top of each page).
- Scan the Page(s) into a PDF. You can download any Scanner App on your to scan to a PDF and email the pdf to yourself.
- Complete the UAI Teacher's Choice Form. Please complete THIS FORM no later than 3pm on November 1st.
Order Period for Spring Course Materials Opens now through Nov 30th. Start thinking about what you will need for the spring term. Please look ahead into the spring for things you may need. Yes, you will have to use ShopDoe. If you have particular items that you need but cannot find on ShopDoe, please reach out to Dai (firstname.lastname@example.org or visit her in room 201) for support! Please make some time this month for your spring ordering. Depending on our budget situation, we may not have funds in the spring to purchase..anything... So, yep, spend now, or be wanting later!
Marking Period 1 Ends on November 19th. Please plan for the last week of the Marking Period to be an enrichment/remediation week. You last week of new instruction will be the prior week (ending 12NOV21), and the following week (ending 19NOV21), will be time you use to work individually or in small groups with students to extend or remediate their mastery of skills taught during Marking Period one. Please reach out to your ILT team leaders (Judy, Nakita, Rachel, Kelly, or Phillan) or me or Annie for extra help in planning this time effectively for students.