UAI Staff News
- Deepen Communication Skills. We all need to develop the skills to productively (not politically) communicate. Our work moving forward will leverage our existing work with SEL and Restorative Justice to build community and develop shared practices that provide UAI community members with tools to engage in perspective taking complex discourse. We need to become more skilled at listening, communicating to others that we are actively listening, and seeking to understand perspectives that are different than our own.
- Educate Ourselves and Our Community. We also need to educate ourselves and our community about antisemitism and about the history and current situation between Palestine and Israel. We all need to learn more about what antisemitism is, how it shows up, and how our own implicit biases can unintentionally harm. Along with that learning, we need to better understand all the perspectives around the conflict between Hamas and Israel, and the history of the region leading up to today. We need to equip ourselves with accurate information in order to be ready to be ready to fully understand student and adult perspectives around the conflict.
- Expand Restorative Justice Training & Practice. It is time to deepen our work with RJ. We have kept it small, sending select folks to trainings and engaging them in supporting our deans and counselors who engage in this work daily. Our next step is to broaden RJ to the whole school. RJ practices along our SEL skills will become the infrastructure our school needs to realize our overarching goal of becoming actively anti-racist and fully inclusive.
- Integrate Social Emotional Skills in Teaching & Learning. Core adult and student SEL skills will be critical to supporting the many difficult conversations and learning experiences there are to come. Perspective taking, self and social awareness are key skills that we will be working to cultivate across our community, and we'll be leaning into the CLASS rubrics (which I had been introducing prior to this event) as a tool for helping us elevate our classroom practices while using these skills.
The Quality of Emotional Support we are able to cultivate in our classrooms will be the social investment we need to rebuild our community. A classroom with strong emotional support requires us to attend to: creating a positive climate, heightening teacher sensitivity and develop teacher regard for adolescent perspectives.
Already UA taught us some key strategies to do this by using Accountable Talk and Active Listening (EARS). We will continue to strengthen staff capacity to develop a strong emotional support domain in each of our classrooms through Instructional Rounds (where we will be looking at Quality of Feedback and Regard for Adolescent Perspectives - 1st round is on Thursday 16NOV).
Important Upcoming dates
- Monday, 13NOV23 - Looking at Student Work PD
- Thursday, 16NOV23 - Evening Parent Conferences 5PM-8PM - REMOTE
- Friday, 17NOV23 - Afternoon Parent Conferences 12PM-2:50PM - REMOTE
(early Dismissal at 11:10AM)
- Monday, 20NOV23 - UAI Staff Holiday Snack Luck
- Monday, 27NOV23 - UAI Pacing Calendars Due
- Thu&Fri 23/24NOV - Thanksgiving Recess (Rapid Dismissal 22NOV)
- For Future Calendar NOTES
- January Benchmark Schedule
- For Grades 8-12: 2nd AND 3rd period Regents Mock
- Wed 17JAN23 ELA Regents
- Thu 18JAN23 USH or GLO Regents
- Fri 19JAN23 LIV or EARTH Regents
- Mon 22JAN23 ALG 1 Regent
- All other classes should give their end of MP2 benchmark at some point during the week of Tue 16JAN- Mon 22JAN - any period EXCEPT 2nd and 3rd.
- For Grades 6 & 7th graders:
- 2nd & 3rd will be benchmark periods - lunch will be moved to 4th
- Tuesday 23JAN will be the ELA benchmark
- Wednesday 24JAN will be the Math benchmark
- All staff will have grading time build into their Regents Week Schedules.
- Please Prepare your students for these benchmarks
- They should be seeing spiral review of MP1 and MP2 topics throughout all of MP2
- They should have practice with Benchmark questions for BOTH content and literacy
- You should schedule some type of practice benchmark prior to the actual benchmark so students have an idea of what to study. This could be in any form you choose - but you need to provide it for them. Please see your ILT lead or Kiri or Annie if you need more support on this
Equity Team. The Equity Team sent an email on Friday with a link to a Google Form that will help collect information about what our community needs in order to address Antisemitism and learn more about the conflict in the Middle East. It is anonymous. Please take a few moments to complete this as it will help support their work and ultimately the work we need to do as a community. You can complete the form here.
Monday PD. For Monday's PD, we'll be taking a look at student work on the Regents benchmarks. As a community, we are collectively judged by how all of our students do on the regents, so we need our UAI hive minds to look at students work and provide insight and feedback to colleagues on how best to support our students' performance.
We're asking paras to join to develop concrete understandings of how to academically support students throughout the day. Sub paras will be paid overtime.
Please report to these rooms at 3:30 on Monday 13NOV23 where we be using THIS PROTOCOL to learn from student work and improve our instructional support for all students.
- Rm507: Soc. Studies: Kelly, Shan, JRob, Jake, Martine, Yasmeen, Elena, Tom M, Zenita
- Rm309: English Regents: Marsha, Sarah M, Lia, Patricia, Freida, Patti, Roger, Noelle, Denyea
- Rm415: Science Regents: Liza, Tom, Mary, Cam, Thomas, Quinn, Steven, Marianna, Junior
- Rm405: Math Regents: Judy, Alexi, Amanda, Danielle, Sue, Crystal, Kaitlyn, Adelle, Ms. M
Grades are Due. Please take the time to watch this video to upload your grades. Folks do have until 3PM on Wednesday to get grades in, but please work to get them done early. This is the first time putting grades into SyncGrades. So, we are on a learning curve and do not have as much of a cushion for folks who are late with their grades. If you complete your grades after 3PM on Wednesday, they will not be included in report cards, and you will have to individually communicate grades to all your students' families. That would be a big pain. SO... don't be late!
Snack Luck. Next Monday it's time to make space for an important UAI core value - JOY. We have weathered much in the last few weeks, and as we near Thanksgiving, it's time for us to come together as a community to find the joy that persists in our school. We do have joy, still, and for that I am most grateful! For next Monday (20NOV23), please bring a snack that brings you joy. It could be something that you used to have as a child or something that is your go-to munchie whenever you're feelings stressed or blue. Be ready to share your snack and snack story in PD on the 20th.
Also please check your outreach for the last two weeks. I am going to do an audit next Saturday 18NOV23). Please make sure you have fully documents your 55 minutes in the outreach log by midnight on Sunday nights.
NOTE: At the end of MP1, I will be checking that any student who received <75 in your class ALSO had record of successful outreach. If you are not able to successfully connect with families by the end of this week, you MUST reach out to Tracey to get help in connecting with families.
- Black Student Union - Joanna & Pauline (Rm 411) - Tuesdays & Thursdays 3-4:30
- Arts & Crafts Club - Tiffany & Jennifer (Rm 311) - Mon/Tue/Weds - 3-4:15PM
- Theater Production Club - Noelle (Rm 315) - Tues/Thurs/Fri - 3-5:30PM
- Student Government - Sue, Marsha, Phillan, and Girls' Inc's Kassi (Rm 309) - Tuesdays - 3-4PM
- Youth Leadership Council - Kelly (Rm 307) - Tuesdays 3-4PM
- Photo Club - Tom(Rm 205F) - Wednesdays 3-4:30
- Cheer - Mary & Lia - Various days depending on Game Days
- Anime & Art Club - Adelle & Francis (Rm 409) - Tuesdays & Thursdays 3-5PM
- Running Club with Camryn (starts after the marathon is over)
- Dance Club - Girls Inc - Room 503
- Students Against Racism & Bias Club - Jelissa (Rm 305) Tuesdays & Thursday 3-4PM
- Muslim Student Association - Laura (Rm 404) TBD
- GSA Club - Amanda - Rm 407
Per Session Postings
For ALL per session activities, please complete Per Session Application Form"
- students remain safe and orderly during games
- only eligible students are admitted to games
- all students fully dismiss from the building at the conclusion of the games