UAI Staff News
- Restore & Heal the harm done to our UAI community & beyond
- Reaffirm and Develop our Commitment & Work to Being & Anti-Racist & Fully Inclusive School
- Educate & deepen understanding around antisemitism and islamaphobia in particular as well as other forms of oppression & experiences of oppressed peoples (e.g. Black, Hispanic, LGBTQ+, AAPI, ) in our country and the world - a key requirement to achieving our goal to being an anti-racist & fully inclusive school.
- Cultivate & Develop staff, student, family & community capacity to employ key SEL skills like perspective taking, and social & self awareness to engage in productive discourse & thinking around charged discussion like the conflict in the Middle East or similar conflicts involving frequently oppressed groups.
- Communicate Clear Expectations & Dispel misconceptions.
- Since last week, I've been working closely with UA folks to plan circles & PD for Tuesday in response to some of the priority issues raised up in circles. We've had to navigate some scheduling conflicts, but David Adams came through, and we have settled on circles and PD for Tuesday AM that will
- Provide time and support for staff to process their own individual responses to last week's events
- Develop staff capacity to responsibly and effectively respond to and support student questions and concerns about the student walkout and the conflict in the Middle East in general - respond productively to support student critical thinking and perspective taking.
- UA has offered to provide ongoing support as needed. We'll see where we land at the end of Tuesday and how feedback from staff turns out to move forward in next steps.
Equity team leadership is currently reaching out to multiple New York based Jewish education organizations for support and potential resources or trainings for educating both staff and students on anti-semitism. We are also creating a resource list to help staff learn about anti-semitism in America as well as the historical and cultural context in which the current war in Israel and Gaza is taking place.
Important Upcoming dates
- Monday, 06NOV23 - Benchmark Grading
- Tuesday, 07NOV23 - Remote PD - Election Day PD
- Friday, 10NOV23 - MP1 Ends
- Thursday, 16NOV23 - Evening Parent Conferences 5PM-8PM - REMOTE
- Friday, 17NOV23 - Afternoon Parent Conferences 12PM-2:50PM - REMOTE
(early Dismissal at 11:10AM)
- Thu&Fri 23/24NOV - Thanksgiving Recess (Rapid Dismissal 22NOV)
- First Marking Period Benchmarks are coming the first week of NOVEMBER
- Wed, NOV 1st - ELA & Theater Benchmarks
- Thu, NOV 2nd - Science & Spanish Benchmarks
- Fri, NOV 3rd - Social Studies & Computer Science Benchmarks
- Mon, NOV 6th - Math & PE Benchmarks
End of MP 1 & Power Up Days. Benchmarks must be entered into MP1 Grades as a performance grade. In an ideal competency grading school where we are all fluent in the strategies to support learning towards fluency with skills & content, students would have had multiple opportunities to practice & we would have had multiple opportunities to guide, correct, and tutor so that they would be ready to perform on this benchmark - AND their teachers would have a pretty good idea of how they would do prior to taking the exams.
We're not all the way there. That's why these power up days exist. They exist as a bandaid bridge for kids as their teachers develop their capacity to effectively manage feedback & assessment in a competency based school.
Throughout MP1, students and families should have been made constantly aware of their progress - using your weekly outreach. That was our first step - communication. As we move forward, our next step towards cultivating our own capacity with competency based learning will focus on tools to support assessment & quality of feedback (e.g. conferencing and other in-class feedback loops).
Use the Power Up Days (after Election Day) to review student performance on the benchmarks and provide students the opportunity to study errors, explain what went wrong, and correct the mistakes- all in the pursuit of growing their skills & learning.
Teachers should make the call on how to integrate these reviews & corrections. To be clear - this is NOT how competency grading works (using test corrections to boost test scores). This is a bandaid to the fact that we as a faculty are still learning how to capably implement a competency based grading system.
End of MP1. The 1st Marking Period ends on Friday, 10NOV23. All grades will be due IN SyncGrades. We will be pulling them from there. Stay tuned for explicit directions. This will be our first time pulling it, so we're learning too! Please make sure your gradebooks are up to date in SyncGrades by Wedensday, 15NOV23.
- Judy with HS Math Team in Room 405
- Grade Algebra I: Danielle, Sue, Amanda, Alexis, Crystal, Judy
- Kelly with 2 Social Studies Teams in Room 507
- Grade USH: Jake, Shan, Martine, Annie
- Grade GLO: JRob, Yasmeen, Kelly, Fatima
- Liza with 2 Science Teams in Room 415
- Grade Living: Camryn, Sarah R, Tom, Marianna, Mateo
- Grade Earth: Thomas, Mary, Quinn, Steven, Liza
- Marsha with HS ELA Teamsin Room 309
- Grade ELA Regents: Marsha, Sarah M, Lia, Patricia, Freida, Pauline
- Phillan with MS ELA Teams in Room B49
- Grade MS ELA: Mike, Phillan, Laura, Juelle, Adelle, Junior
- Grade MS Math: Matthew, Dru, Alison, Kaitlyn, Joanna
- Independent Grading
- Tom, Elena, Noelle, Roger, Patti
- 8:30 AM- Welcome and Principal Address from Kiri
- 9:00 AM- UA Facilitated Circles & PD
- 11:00AM- Lunch
- 12:00PM- Full Staff Meeting and Overview of the PM
- 12:30PM- Planning Meetings & Independent Work Time
- Submit Yearlong Pacing Guides
- Grade Benchmarks
- Update SyncGrades
- 3:20 PM- End of the PD Day
- 06NOV23 - Benchmark Grading
- 07NOV23 - Election Day PD (Circles, Benchmark Analysis, Progress Monitoring on Goals)
- 13NOV23 - Looking at Student Work - we've moved our LASW to this PD
- 20NOV23 - Equity Team
- 27NOV23 - TBD- Holding Space for UA or Affinity Full Staff Work with Full Staff.
<Repost>Outreach Log. Please make sure you are inviting all students who have <75 in your class to attend your Monday Office Hours. Please document that you have informed families that the Office Hours are support for students and document that in the outreach log by midnight on Sunday nights.
NOTE: At the end of MP1, I will be checking that any student who received <75 in your class ALSO had record of successful outreach. If you are not able to successfully connect with families by the end of this week, you MUST reach out to Tracey to get help in connecting with families.
- Black Student Union - Joanna & Pauline (Rm 411) - Tuesdays & Thursdays 3-4:30
- Arts & Crafts Club - Tiffany & Jennifer (Rm 311) - Mon/Tue/Weds - 3-4:15PM
- Theater Production Club - Noelle (Rm 315) - Tues/Thurs/Fri - 3-5:30PM
- Student Government - Sue, Marsha, Phillan, and Girls' Inc's Kassi (Rm 309) - Tuesdays - 3-4PM
- Youth Leadership Council - Kelly (Rm 307) - Tuesdays 3-4PM
- Photo Club - Tom(Rm 205F) - Wednesdays 3-4:30
- Cheer - Mary & Lia - Various days depending on Game Days
- Anime & Art Club - Adelle & Francis (Rm 409) - Tuesdays & Thursdays 3-5PM
- Running Club with Camryn (starts after the marathon is over)
- Dance Club - Girls Inc - Room 503
- Students Against Racism & Bias Club - Jelissa (Rm 305) Tuesdays & Thursday 3-4PM
- Muslim Student Association - Laura (Rm 404) TBD
- GSA Club
Per Session Postings
For ALL per session activities, please complete Per Session Application Form"
- students remain safe and orderly during games
- only eligible students are admitted to games
- all students fully dismiss from the building at the conclusion of the games